An article from the October 19, 2016, online edition of Inside Higher Ed, by Patrick Iber. Some best practices for using Twitter in education he mentions are:
1. Share links to what you read online.
2. Share what you read offline.
3. Work out ideas in progress.
4. Share what you write.
1. Facilitate discussion in a lecture class.
2. Expand traditional office hours.
3. Update the traditional research report.
Hank Bounds, the President of the University of Nebraska, says Twitter is a great communication tool for educators.
I have to confess that I never use Twitter.